With fuel prices rising, it is important to be able to save money wherever you can. Reducing your fuel bills has never been more important, so have a look at our list of tips and information.
Energy efficiency measures are an excellent way of reducing your bills. Did you know that:
- Installing cavity wall insulation can save you £115 per year.
- Increasing the thickness of your loft insulation to 270 mm can save you up to £120 per year.
- When you buy a fridge/freezer, if you choose one that is ‘A’ rated, you can save about £37 per year in comparison to a less efficient model.
- Draught-proofing can save you about £20 per year. If you seal gaps around window frames, add draught excluders or draught-proofing strips to doors, and cover letterboxes and keyholes, your home will be considerably more comfortable.
- A low energy light bulb can save you about £4.50 per year and they use 80% less electricity than an ordinary one.
- Insulating your hot water cylinder with a 75mm thick hot water cylinder jacket is one of the cheapest ways of saving money. It costs less than £20 and can save you up to £35 per year.
For more information on insulation measures, contact the tadea freephone number on: 0845 602 9569.
Increase your income by making sure that you are claiming all the benefits that you are entitled to. We realise that many people feel uncomfortable with claiming benefits, but if you are entitled to some help, it is better to accept it and allow yourself to live more comfortably.
Some benefits are means tested, which means that your eligibility depends on your income and savings. These benefits include:
- Pension Credit
- Housing Benefit
- Council Tax Benefit
- Social Fund Payments
However, other benefits are paid regardless of other factors. The benefits include:
- Attendance Allowance (paid to people aged 65 or over).
- Disability Living Allowance (aka DLA, paid to people under 65 with disability or care needs).
- Winter Fuel Payments (available to people over 60 years old).
The benefits system can be very daunting, which is why if you are referred to us through the Hotspots project, we can pass you on for a benefit entitlement check. Save yourself money, keep yourself warm.