There are hundreds of ways that you can save energy, as well as saving some money too! What have you got to lose? Have a look at our list to see how you can start changing your life.
- Keep internal doors shut. You’d be surprised just how much heat is lost when your living room door is left open – keep it closed and the room will stay warmer for longer.
- Buy a draft excluder. They might not be the most stylish of household items, but if there are large gaps under any of your doors, they can stop the cold from creeping in quite so easily.
- Keep the windows closed. It might sound obvious, but check that your windows are closed tightly.
- Keep warm in several light layers of clothing. A few layers will be much more effective in keeping you warm than wearing one thick item of clothing. This is because the heat gets trapped in the layers, keeping you warm.
- Avoid using an electric blanket. Not only will it cost you a fortune in electricity, but you also run the risk of electrocuting yourself during the night! Instead, layer blankets or sheets.
- Close your curtains on an evening to help keep the room warm.
- Did you know that if you turn your heating down by just 1 degree, you could reduce your heating bill by 10%? You won’t even notice the difference, but your pocket will!
- If you improve your insulation, you will lose less heat everytime you heat your house. This will make you warmer and more energy efficient, so it’s definitely a worthwhile job!
- Cavity Wall Insulation stops you from losing heat through your walls.
- Think about how much water you put in the kettle or your pans when you’re cooking. Try to only fill the kettle according to how many drinks you plan to make, and try to only put just enough water into the pan to cover your food. That way, it will take less energy to boil the water!
- Turn off the lights when you leave a room.
- Buying energy efficient light bulbs will not only reduce how much you spend on lighting your home, but they last longer than ordinary light bulbs too!
- Switching your appliances from standby to off can save you a lot of electricity. Don’t leave items such as mobile phones charging for too long either!